"Ah, summer- what power you have to make us suffer and like it."
-Russell Baker

08 July 2008

July 2008 Update

Dear Family and Friends,

One Tuesday afternoon after finishing up Bible club in my back yard, I was loading our material box into the car. Suddenly I saw Demetrius, who had just left the back yard, running toward me from his house.

“I forgot to give you your hug!” He exclaimed excitedly as he ran toward me with open arms.

My heart melted within me as I reached out to squeeze him tightly and realized that it would be moments like these that I will miss most when I leave St. Louis.

Six-year-old Demetrius started coming to Bible club activities during Spring Break. His bright smile and eager attitude make him a truly enjoyable addition to our program.

When I discovered that his house is just up the block from mine I started waving to him and his family whenever I passed by. At first they didn’t seem to be able to figure out who I was or why I was being friendly. In fact, it took a few times before anyone waved back.

Finally, one day as I was walking by, a woman stopped me to introduce herself as Demetrius’ mom. Diana had spoken with other members of our staff team before, but this was my first interaction with her. She wanted to tell me how much Demetrius enjoys coming to Bible club. She was eager to sign him up for the entire summer’s worth of activities, too!

But the most notable part of our conversation came when she said to me, “I trust you with Demetrius.” She told me I could pick him up anytime, take him anywhere and she would know he was safe. What a huge compliment! I consider it a wonderful privilege to work with the children in my community and love to see families showing such faith in us to entrust their little ones into our care.

This month is a bitter-sweet one for me as it will be my last full month with World Impact. You will hear from me one more time before I move in early August, but as I thought about how I wanted to spend my final days of ministry here I couldn’t help but also think about my favorite times over the past 2 ½ years. It is incredible to stop and consider all the Lord has done in such a short time. Thank you for supporting me through it all!

Serving in the city,

Beth

No comments: